Swartkops Raceway, Pretoria, Gauteng
Cars in the Park, Zwartkops Raceway, 2 August 2009
Report by Chris Palk & Pictures by Andre van Rensburg
Despite the rainy weather the day before and at day-break for some, the Buick Club had a great attendance of 20 pristine cars and our site, despite being cut down in size from last year, was a real eye-catcher with our new Buick Club banner, Pagodas, GM 100 year banner and GM 100 year feature. Our Buicks are all such special, unique and iconic cars and the volume of people passing through our stand, testimony of the attraction of this rare brand of GM vehicle in South Africa .
Many may have seen the SABC2 TV clip on Cars in the Park on the Sunday night news at 18h00 and later in the 19h30 news)– only featuring Ty Terblance’s 1904 Cadillac, the Buick Club stand- with Alex’s 1908 given prominence, as also Theo’s 36. Abe’s 37, Daan’s 38, Justus’s 42, Ian’s 48 and Francois’s 49. The 2008 Caddy was also in the clip showing the 100 year comparison of 1908 Buick to 2008 Caddy and of course Ty’s 1904 Cadillac. The only other insert was an interview with Frans Du Toit from the organizers. So we got some “good shine” for our Club and the GM brand. Just a pity that Alex was on gate duty and not able to give the SABC TV crew an interview.
Alex has thanked all members for their support, but “nogmaals” a huge thank you and baie dankie to all the members who brought their cars along to make the day. For many it was a really stout and brave effort and many travelled long distances, some bringing 2 cars.
- Arthur Duvenhage and his wife from Pongola with his unique 1973 Century convertible
- Alan Davson and wife Anne in their awesome 1926 open tourer from Tzaneen
- Francois Du Toit en familie met sy uitsteekende en altyd aandagtrekende 1949 super van Makopane
- En dan ook al die ander uitstekende and really eye catching catching Buicks
- Alex Duffey with his 1908 run-a-about and 1930 Dual Cowl Phaeton
- Daan Marais met sy 1938 Roadmaster en 1972 Boattail Riviera
- Theo and Andre Janse van Rensburg with their 1936 model 61 and 1980 Le Sabre
- Johann en Elsa Griesel met sy pragtige 1956 Special en baie oorspronklike 1959 Le Sabre (En nogmals baie welkom aan Johann ons nuwe Komittee lid)
- Abe Zeilinga met sy 1937 model 46S Coupe
- Justus de Waal met sy 1942 super
- Ian Holmes with his 1948 Super
- Kobus Halliday met sy pragtige 1959 Le Sabre
and then the other Riviera’s
- George Shipway with his 1966
- Mark Barrett with his great 1969 (welcome Mark and good to see you and family)
- Chris Palk in a 1970 Riviera
- Brian Noik who broke away from the special invites to join us in his 1912. Always good to see you Brian.
A great turnout of cars and members who attended the AGM – some like Laurie Classens and Hans and Pam Matter having driven up from Cape Town
The next major Buick Club events will be
- Wheels at the Vaal – 5 to 6 September 2009
- Western Cape all GM Day – 1 November 2009
and next year,
- a very special celebration of the Clubs’ 10 year anniversary.
Thank you all for your support.